100 Famous Japanese Castles Stamp Rally
Keep a record of this trip
Sign up freeA list of the '100 Famous Japanese Castles' selected by the Japanese Castle Foundation in 2006 and for which a stamp rally has been held since June 2, 2007, organized by region. It covers famous castles nationwide, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, including the 12 existing castles such as Himeji Castle, Matsumoto Castle, and Hikone Castle, as well as Goryokaku Fort, Shuri Castle, and Takeda Castle Ruins. Stamps for each castle are located at the management office, entrance, etc., but their locations, stamping hours, and fees may change, so always check the official sources (Japanese Castle Foundation / each castle) for the latest information. You can view all 100 castles on a map and record 'how many castles you have conquered' by checking in.
Note: This list contains advertising (affiliate links).

These are the sites of 'Chashis' (forts or facilities used for rituals and negotiations) built by the Ainu, and there are no structures like castle towers. They are distributed throughout the Nemuro Peninsula, with Wonnemotto Chashia-to, demarcated by earthworks and moats, being a representative example and designated as a National Historic Site. Please note that the reality may differ from expectations if you are looking for a 'castle.' Stamps are placed at the Nemuro City Museum of History and Nature, etc., but always check the official sources for locations and stamping hours. The base is JR Nemuro Station.

A star-shaped (bastioned) castle without a castle tower, built by the Edo Shogunate for the defense of Ezochi, designed by Hidesaburo Takeda, and completed around 1864. The moats, earthworks, and stone walls remain, and the central Hakodate Magistrate's Office was restored in wood in 2010. It is a National Special Historic Site and is known as the base of the former shogunate forces in the final phase of the Hakodate War (Boshin War). Stamps are placed outdoors near the resting area within the park (check official sources for stamping hours). Approximately a 15-minute walk from the Hakodate City Tram 'Goryokaku Koen Mae' stop.

A Japanese-style castle completed in 1855 by order of the Edo Shogunate to strengthen coastal defenses for the Matsumae domain. The current castle tower is a reinforced concrete reconstruction built in 1961 (the interior is a museum), and the former castle tower burned down in 1949. The existing Honmaru gate is a National Important Cultural Property, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. Stamps are available at the reception of the Matsumae Castle Museum, and during the winter closure, at the Townspeople's Community Center (check official sources for the latest schedule). Accessible by Hakodate Bus from JR Kikonai Station to the 'Matsushiro' stop.

The only castle in the Tohoku region with an existing castle tower. The three-story, three-tiered castle tower was rebuilt in 1810. It is a National Important Cultural Property along with three corner turrets and five castle gates, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. It was built in 1611 by the Tsugaru clan. Please note that due to the repair of the Honmaru stone wall, the castle tower has been moved within the Honmaru and is scheduled to be moved back to its original location in 2026. The location of the castle tower, its accessibility, and stamp locations are subject to change, so please check the official Hirosaki Park website for the latest information. Approximately 15 minutes by bus from JR Hirosaki Station.

A medieval castle and residence built by Moroyuki Nanbu in 1334, it served as the base for the Nanbu clan in the Hachinohe region for approximately 300 years. There is no castle tower, and the 'Nejo Castle Ruins Historic Site Park,' which has restored the main hall and workshops based on archaeological surveys, is a highlight. The ramparts and dry moats remain, and it is designated as a National Historic Site. Stamps are available at the Honmaru window of the Nejo Castle Ruins Historic Site Park, or outside the Hachinohe City Museum entrance. Immediately accessible by bus from JR Hachinohe Station to the 'Nejo (Museum Front)' stop.

The residence of the Nanbu clan (Morioka domain), construction began by the first lord, Nanbu Nobunao, and was developed during the reigns of Toshinao and Shigenao. It did not have a castle keep, with a three-story turret serving that role, but it no longer exists. The highlight is its total stone wall construction using granite, making it one of the 'Three Great Stone Wall Castles of Tohoku.' It is a National Historic Site and is currently developed as Morioka Castle Ruins Park. The stamp is installed at the Morioka History and Culture Museum. Within walking distance from JR Morioka Station (please check official website for estimated time).

An ancient castle complex where the Mutsu Kokuga (provincial capital) and Chinju-fu (military headquarters) were located during the Nara and Heian periods. It differs in nature from 'castles' with castle towers and turrets of the early modern period. The site of the administrative center, the divisions of the outer walls, and the Tagajo Stele, one of Japan's three ancient steles, remain, and it is designated as a National Special Historic Site. It was the political and military center of Tohoku. Stamps are located at the Tagajo Castle Ruins Guidance Facility (south of the South Gate), which relocated in April 2025 (check official sources for opening hours and holidays). JR Kokonoe Tagajo Station is the nearest station.

The residence of the Sendai domain, built by Date Masamune and completed during the reign of his son, Tadamune. Due to considerations for the Tokugawa shogunate, a castle keep was not built, and high stone walls were constructed on the natural fortress of Mt. Aoba; the stone walls are the highlight. The former National Treasure Main Gate and others were destroyed in the Sendai air raid. Currently, a side turret has been rebuilt, and a statue of Masamune on horseback stands at the Honmaru site. It is a National Historic Site. The stamp is installed at the Sendai Castle Information Center on the Honmaru site. Access by tourist bus such as Ruu-Puru Sendai is common (please check official website for estimated time).

The residence of the Satake clan, who were transferred from Hitachi, and the base of the Satake clan for 12 generations. It is a hillside castle primarily consisting of moats and earthworks with little use of stone walls, and no castle tower was built. The Sumiyagura (corner turret) in the northwest corner of the Honmaru was restored in 1989. It is currently developed as Senchu Park. Stamp availability is subject to change as the Satake Historical Materials Museum is closed for renovation. Please check the official Akita City website for the latest information regarding arrangements at the Sumiyagura and the Akita Museum of Art. Within walking distance from JR Akita Station.

A castle built by the first generation of the Mogami clan, Kaneyori Shiba, in 1356, and its current castle layout was developed by the 11th generation, Yoshimitsu Mogami. No castle tower was built; highlights include the Ninomaru Higashi Otemon Gate and Turret (1991), which were restored in wood, and the Honmaru Ichimonji Gate. It is a National Historic Site and is currently developed as Kasumi Castle Park. Stamps are available at the Ninomaru Higashi Otemon Turret, Yamagata Museum of Local History, and Mogami Yoshiaki Historical Museum (only at the information center during the New Year holidays; check official sources for hours). Approximately a 15-minute walk from the east exit of JR Yamagata Station.

Also known as Kasumigajo. Its origins date back to 1414 when Mitsuyasu Hatakeyama established his base here. In 1643, Mitsushige Niwa entered the domain and developed it into a castle of the early modern period, after which it became the residence of the Niwa clan of Nihonmatsu domain. There is no existing or restored castle tower; highlights include the stone walls of the castle tower base, the large stone walls of Anou-zumi, and the Minowa Gate (1982), which was restored in wood. It is a National Historic Site. Stamps are available at the tourist information center within JR Nihonmatsu Station or at the Nihonmatsu Castle History Museum. Within walking distance from the station to the castle entrance (check official sources for estimated time).

Commonly known as Tsuruga Castle. It was renamed by Ujisato Gamo after completing the castle tower in 1590, and later became the residence of the Aizu Matsudaira family under Masayuki Hoshina. It was a fierce battlefield during the Boshin War. The current castle tower is an exterior restoration made of reinforced concrete, rebuilt in 1965, and re-roofed with red tiles in 2011. The Kanemishiro Yagura and other structures have been restored in wood, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. Stamps are located near the shop connected to the castle tower exit (check official sources for whether an entrance fee is required for stamping). Approximately a 5-minute walk from the 'Tsuruga Castle Entrance' bus stop on the loop bus.

Also known as Komine Castle. In 1632, the first lord of Shirakawa domain, Nagashige Niwa, extensively renovated it into a tiered hillside castle, after which it became the residence of imperial and hereditary vassals (including Sadayuki Matsudaira). The Sansai Yagura, equivalent to a castle tower, was destroyed in the Boshin War in 1868, but the current triple-tiered turret was rebuilt in 1991 as a wooden restoration based on drawings and excavations. It is a National Historic Site. Please check official sources for stamp locations and stamping hours. Within walking distance from JR Shirakawa Station (the Honmaru is approximately 500m north of the station).

The residence of the Mito Tokugawa family. There was no castle tower, and the Sansai Yagura was also destroyed in an air raid on Mito. However, the Otemon Gate (2020) and the Ninomaru Kakuyagura and earthen walls (opened in 2021) have recently been restored in wood, restoring its former grandeur. The Kodo-kan, a domain school, is a National Special Historic Site. Earthworks, dry moats, and the existing Yakui-mon gate remain within the castle ruins. Yorifusa Tokugawa entered in 1609, making it a base for the Gosanke (three privileged branches of the Tokugawa family). Please check official sources for stamp locations and stamping hours. Approximately a 10-minute walk from the north exit of JR Mito Station.

Ruins of a samurai residence of the Ashikaga clan (a square residence) rather than a castle, now the head temple of the Shingon sect, Bannaji Temple. The original layout, surrounded by earthworks and a moat on all four sides with gates at each direction, is still preserved. The main hall is a National Treasure, the belfry and sutra hall are Important Cultural Properties, and the temple grounds are a National Historic Site as the "Residence Site of the Ashikaga Clan." It originated in 1196 when Ashikaga Yoshikane built a private Buddha hall. The stamp is at the Bannaji Temple main hall's office. About a 10-minute walk from JR Ashikaga Station, stamp availability hours must be confirmed officially.

Ruins of a large, flat mountain castle without a keep. Remains of stone walls, earthworks, dry moats (horikiri), uma-dashi (outworks), and wells are well-preserved over approximately 47ha. In 2016, the Guo Umadashi Nishi Koguchi Gate was rebuilt in wood using traditional methods. National Historic Site. Built by the Nagano clan, the lord Nagano Narimasa is said to have repelled Takeda Shingen's attacks multiple times. Conquered by the Takeda clan in 1566, and entered by Ii Naomasa in 1590. Stamp location and availability hours must be confirmed officially. About 30 minutes by bus from the west exit of JR Takasaki Station.

Ruins of a mountain castle from the era before keeps were built, known for its authentic stone walls, rare for mountain castles in the Kanto region. Remains of horikiri, earthworks, stone walls, Ote Koguchi (main gate), and stone-built Hinono-ike and Tsukino-ike ponds are preserved on a ridge 239m above sea level, with restoration and development progressing based on excavations. National Historic Site. Built in 1469 by order of Iwashiro Iesumi, it was later occupied by the Yura clan and others. The stamp is located in the South Kuruma Rest Area near the summit (separate from the guidance facility at the southern foot). Accessible by walking from Tobu Ota Station, stamp availability hours must be confirmed officially.

Ruins of a flat mountain castle with a connected-bailey layout, without a keep. Earthworks, dry moats, earth bridges, and stone walls are well-preserved on a cliff between the Arakawa and Fukasawa rivers, with four-legged gates and wooden bridges restored. National Historic Site. Said to have been built around 1476 by Nagao Kageharu, it was later extensively renovated by Hojo Ujikuni of the Odawara Hojo clan as a base. It was surrendered and abandoned in 1590 during the Odawara Campaign. The stamp is at the reception of the Hata Castle Historical Museum. About a 25-minute walk from Yorii Station, stamp availability hours must be confirmed officially.

A valuable castle with a surviving Honmaru Palace. The entrance and main hall (built in 1848) remain, and along with the relocated and restored Karo-tsume-sho (chief retainer's office), they are designated Saitama Prefectural Tangible Cultural Properties, rare remains in eastern Japan. There was no castle keep, with the Fujimi Turret serving as a substitute, but only its site remains. The castle ruins and turret site are Prefectural Historic Sites. It was built in 1457 by Ota Dokan and his son Dokushin, and prospered as a strategic point for the Fudai daimyo during the Edo period. The stamp is inside the Honmaru Palace. Access by bus from Hon-Kawagoe Station or JR Kawagoe Station. Please check official website for opening hours and stamp availability.

Castle ruins made entirely of earthworks without stone walls. The Gosankai Yagura, which served as a substitute for a keep, was destroyed by fire in 1813 and no longer exists, but the earthworks, dry moats, water moats, a massive outwork, and the shapes of the various baileys remain well-preserved. The National Museum of Japanese History stands on a corner of the castle ruins. Construction was resumed in 1610 by Doi Toshikatsu by order of Tokugawa Ieyasu, and it became the administrative center of the Sakura Domain. Classification, stamp location, and availability hours must be confirmed officially. About a 25-minute walk from JR Sakura Station, about a 20-minute walk from Keisei Sakura Station.

The current Imperial Palace, with parts of the Honmaru ruins and other areas open to the public as the Imperial Palace East Garden. There is no existing keep; it was destroyed in the Great Meireki Fire and never rebuilt, leaving only a massive keep base. In addition to Fujimi Yagura, stone walls, and water moats, Sakuradamon Gate, Tayasumon Gate, and Shimizu-mon Gate are Important Cultural Properties. The castle ruins are a Special National Historic Site. Built in 1457 by Ota Dokan, Tokugawa Ieyasu entered in 1590 and it became the center of the Edo Shogunate. Stamp location and opening hours must be confirmed officially. About a 5-minute walk from JR Tokyo Station/Otemachi Station.

Ruins of a mountain castle built by Hojo Ujiteru, without a keep. The main residence ruins, its gate's stone walls, earthworks, and baileys remain in the mountains, conveying the appearance of a Sengoku period mountain castle. It is known for being a branch castle of the Later Hojo clan, which fell to a large army of the Toyotomi side in 1590. National Historic Site. The stamp is at the Hachioji Castle Ruins Guidance Facility. About a 20-minute walk from the north exit of JR Hachioji Station, getting off at "Reienmae, Hachioji Castle Entrance" (bus to castle ruins available on weekends and holidays). Stamp availability hours must be confirmed officially.

Known as the base of the five generations of the Sengoku daimyo, the Later Hojo clan. The current keep is a reconstruction built in 1960 with reinforced concrete. Tokiwa-gi Gate, Toki-mon Gate, and Umadashi-mon Gate have also been restored, and stone walls, water moats, and dry moats remain. National Historic Site. Built in the early 15th century by the Omori clan, it was expanded by Hojo Soun and subsequent Later Hojo clan lords, and surrendered in 1590 during Hideyoshi's Odawara Campaign. The stamp is inside the keep. About a 10-minute walk from the east exit of Odawara Station, opening hours and stamp availability hours must be confirmed officially.

Ruins of the "Tsutsujigasaki Yakata," the residence of Takeda Shingen and three generations of the Takeda clan, a National Historic Site. As it is the ruins of a Sengoku daimyo's residence, not a castle, there is no keep, and the Takeda Shrine, founded in the Taisho era, stands on the site. Remains such as earthworks, moats, stone walls, baileys, and outworks are preserved. It was built when Nobutora moved his base in 1519 and was used until Katsuyori moved to Shinfu Castle. Stamp location and availability hours must be confirmed officially on the Takeda Shrine website. About a 10-minute bus ride from JR Kofu Station North Exit, get off at the terminal stop and walk immediately.

Kofu Castle (Maizuru Castle) is a National Historic Site. There is no existing or reconstructed keep, but the stone walls of the keep base remain. Inariyagura, Kuroganemon Gate, and Kajikuruma Gate have been rebuilt in wood and are maintained as Maizuru Castle Park along with stone walls and moats. Construction progressed during the Toyotomi administration, and it functioned as the castle of the Kofu Domain and a direct Tokugawa shogunate possession in the Edo period. Stamp location and availability hours must be confirmed officially by Yamanashi Prefecture and Kofu City. About a 5-minute walk from JR Kofu Station South Exit, very close to the station.

Matsushiro Castle, formerly Kaizu Castle, was built by Takeda Shingen in the Eiroku era in preparation for the Battle of Kawanakajima, and is a National Historic Site. There is no keep, but stone walls, earthworks, and moats remain. The Taikomon Gate, Kitafume Gate, and wooden bridge have been restored based on excavation surveys and are maintained in their late Edo period appearance. Sanada Nobuyuki entered in 1622, and the Sanada clan subsequently resided there as lords of the Matsushiro Domain until the castle's abolition in the Meiji era. The stamp is said to be near the Sanada Residence, but location and hours must be confirmed officially. About a 6-minute walk from Nagano Station after taking a bus to Matsushiro Station.

Ueda Castle was built by Sanada Masayuki in 1583 and repelled Tokugawa forces in two battles. Most of the Honmaru and Ninomaru are National Historic Sites. Although there is no independent keep, the Nishi Yagura, dating from the early Edo period, still exists. Together with the Minami Yagura and Kita Yagura (re-relocated Edo period buildings) and the reconstructed Higashi Koguchi Yaguramon Gate, three yaguras stand. The three yaguras are Prefectural Treasures of Nagano. Stone walls, moats, and earthworks also remain. The stamp is said to be at the Ueda City Museum of History, etc., and must be confirmed officially. About a 12-minute walk from Ueda Station.

Komoro Castle is a rare "ana-jiro" (low-lying castle) built lower than the surrounding town, and is affectionately known as Kaikoen. There is no existing or reconstructed keep, but the stone walls of the keep base remain. The Otemon Gate and Sannomon Gate are existing structures and are both Important Cultural Properties. The Sannomon Gate bears the inscription "Kaikoen" by Tokugawa Ietsugu. It was extensively renovated into a modern castle by Sengoku Hisahide and was the residence of the Komoro Domain in the Edo period. Stamp location and hours must be confirmed officially by Kaikoen and Komoro City. About a 3-minute walk from Komoro Station.

Matsumoto Castle is a National Treasure with an existing keep, known for its black lacquered exterior. The keep, Inui Kotenchu, Watari Yagura, Tatsumi Otsuke Yagura, and Tsukimi Yagura are connected and combined, and are collectively designated as a National Treasure. The castle ruins themselves are also a National Historic Site. The early keep was built by Ishikawa Kazumasa and his son Yasunaga in the Bunroku era, and the Tatsumi Otsuke Yagura and Tsukimi Yagura were added later. The outer moat, inner moat, and the masugata of Kuro-mon Gate and Taiko-mon Gate also remain. The stamp is within the paid area and managed by the Matsumoto Castle Management Office; details must be confirmed officially. About a 20-minute walk from JR Matsumoto Station.

Takato Castle ruins were turned into a park in 1875, and although there is no keep, the baileys, horizontal moats, and earthworks remain. It is known as a famous spot for "the best cherry blossoms in Japan" with about 1,500 Takato Kohigan cherry trees, and is designated as a National Historic Site. The Tonya-mon Gate, a relocated gate, and the Shintoku-kan, a former domain school, remain. It was renovated by Takeda Shingen in 1547 and fell in 1582 when Nishina Morinobu held out. The stamp is located at the Ina City Takato Town Historical Museum (can be stamped outside the entrance). About a 25-minute bus ride from Ina City Station/Ina Kita Station to "Takato," then about a 20-minute walk.

Shibata Castle is also known as Ayame Castle and was the residence of the Mizoguchi clan and the Shibata domain. Although there is no formal castle keep, the existing structures include the Omote Gate and the former Ninomaru Corner Turret, both designated National Important Cultural Properties. The restored three-story turret has a unique structure with three golden carp on its ridge, the only one of its kind in Japan, but it can only be viewed from the outside as it is within a Self-Defense Force facility. The stamp is available at the Omote Gate during the open period (March 20 - November 30), and at the City Hall main building during the winter closure (stamp is free). Approximately 20 minutes on foot from JR Shibata Station.

Kasugayama Castle, a medieval mountain castle at an altitude of about 180m, known as the residence of the Sengoku warlord Uesugi Kenshin, is a National Historic Site. There is no keep or existing buildings, but remains such as the baileys of Honmaru and Ninomaru, the surrounding walls made of earthworks and moats, and dry moats and large wells are preserved over a vast area. First mentioned in a document from 1513, it is said to have been a formidable and impregnable castle that underwent large-scale development in the latter half of the 16th century. The stamp is at the Kasugayama Castle Ruins Monogatari Kan (Story Hall), and during winter closure, it is at the Joetsu City Buried Cultural Properties Center. About a 40-minute walk from Kasugayama Station, or by bus.

Takaoka Castle, a flat castle built by Maeda Toshinaga, the second generation of the Kaga Maeda family, as his retirement residence in 1609, is a National Historic Site. No buildings from the Maeda family era remain; it is now maintained as Takaoka Old Castle Park, with a large water moat, earthworks, and stone walls remaining. It is traditionally said that Takayama Ukon was involved in the layout, but there are various theories in recent years and it is not confirmed. It was abolished in 1615 due to the "One Castle per Province" decree. The stamp is located at the Takaoka City Museum of Art within the park (can be stamped outside the entrance 24 hours a day after closing). About a 15-minute walk from Ainokaze Toyama Railway Takaoka Station.

Japan, 926-0025 Ishikawa Prefecture, Nanao City, Kojocho, Furuya shiki cho Take cho Iriaiaza Otsuka 14-124, 15, etc.
Nanao Castle is a large mountain castle built by the Noto Hatakeyama clan at an altitude of approximately 300m, and is a National Historic Site. Although there is no castle tower or existing buildings, various enclosures such as the main keep, the stone walls of the main keep piled up in several tiers, earthworks, and moats remain, and it is famous as a relic of a Sengoku period mountain castle. It is said to have been built by the Noto Hatakeyama clan. In 1577, it was captured by Kenshin Uesugi, and the Noto Hatakeyama clan was destroyed. Stamps are available at the Nanao Castle History Museum (at the entrance eaves, can be stamped even during winter closure), or alternatively at the Nanao City Board of Education Cultural Affairs Division. It is about a 15-minute drive from JR Nanao Station to the main keep.

Kanazawa Castle was the residence of the Maeda clan, the lords of Kaga with a million koku, and is a National Historic Site. In 1583, Toshie Maeda entered the castle. The castle tower, which was destroyed by lightning in 1602, was not rebuilt, and the three existing buildings are Ishikawa-mon Gate, Sanjyu-ken Nagaya, and Tsurumaru Soko, all of which are National Important Cultural Properties. The Hishi Yagura, Gojyu-ken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura, Kahoku-mon Gate, and Nezumi-tamon Gate have been restored and are maintained as Kanazawa Castle Park. Stamps are said to be available at the Ninomaru Information Center, but the exact location should be confirmed officially. It is about a 10-minute taxi ride from JR Kanazawa Station, or accessible by bus.

Maruoka Castle is the only existing castle tower in Hokuriku (one of the twelve existing castle towers) and is also known as Kasumi-ga-jo. It has two stories on the outside and three floors on the inside, with a roof covered in stone tiles as a distinctive feature. It was once a National Treasure, but under the current system, it is a National Important Cultural Property. It is said to have been built by Katsuhiro Shibata, nephew of Katsuie Shibata, during the Tensho period (from 1576) (although there is also a theory that the existing castle tower was built during the Kan'ei period). After collapsing in the 1948 Fukui earthquake, it was restored and rebuilt using the original materials. The location of the stamp and whether entry to the castle tower is permitted should be confirmed at the management office (there is a notice about renovation work). It is about a 15-minute bus ride from Hapiline Fukui Maruoka Station, getting off at "Maruoka Castle".

Ichijodani Castle was a castle town ruin that the Sengoku daimyo Asakura clan used as their base for ruling Echizen for five generations over approximately 103 years. It has no castle tower and consists of mountain castle ruins at an altitude of 473m and a mansion site. It is a rare site in Japan that has received triple designation as a Special Historic Site, Special Place of Scenic Beauty, and Important Cultural Property. The "Restored Townscape" using excavated stone walls and foundation stones is also a highlight. In 1573, it was burned down by the forces of Nobunaga Oda, and the Asakura clan was destroyed. Stamps are said to be available at the entrance to the restored townscape and at the reception of the Fukui Prefectural Ichijodani Asakura Family Historic Site Museum, but should be confirmed officially. Accessible on foot from JR Ichijodani Station, or by bus from JR Fukui Station.

This is a mountain castle with its main keep located at an altitude of approximately 717m. There is no castle tower building, and the magnificent high stone walls called "Roku-dan Kabe" (Six-tiered Walls), piled up in six tiers, are the main attraction. The castle ruins are a National Historic Site. It has been a strategic point since the medieval period, and the administrative office of the Iwamura domain was located here during the Edo period. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the reception of the Iwamura History Museum at the foot of the mountain (check officially for the latest stamping hours). It is about a 20-minute walk from the museum to the main keep, which is an uphill climb. It is within walking distance of Iwamura Station on the Akechi Railway.

This is a mountain castle built on the summit of Mt. Kinka (altitude approximately 329m). The current castle tower is a reinforced concrete reproduction castle built in 1956. It was formerly called Inabayama Castle and was the residence of Dosan Saito. In 1567, Nobunaga Oda captured it and made it the base from which he renamed the area "Gifu". The entire castle ruin area is a National Historic Site. The Kinkaizan Ropeway is convenient for reaching the summit. The castle tower may be closed for renovations, and the location of the stamp may change, so please confirm officially.

This is a mountain castle built by the Late Hojo clan. There are no buildings such as a castle tower, and it is known as an earthen castle with well-preserved "Shoji-bori" (Shoji moats) and "Une-bori" (ribbed moats) with ridges left at the bottom of the moats, and is a National Historic Site. In 1590, it became the site of fierce fighting during Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Odawara campaign. It can be explored as a well-maintained castle park, and the view of Mt. Fuji is also a charm. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located near the Yamanaka Castle Ruins shop (check officially for stamping hours). It is convenient to access by bus from Numazu IC on the Tomei Expressway or from Mishima Station.

This is a concentric-style flat castle where Ieyasu Tokugawa spent his later years as Ogosho. There is no existing castle tower, but the Tatsumi Yagura, Higashi Otemon Gate, and Kon Yagura have been restored in wood, and the results of excavations of the massive castle tower base at the Honmaru site are on display. The castle ruins are maintained as Sunpu Castle Park. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located near the ticket office of Higashi Otemon Gate and Kon Yagura (it may be placed inside the city hall on closing days, so please check officially for the latest information). It is within walking distance of JR Shizuoka Station.

This castle was ruled by lords such as Kazutoyo Yamauchi. The castle tower, which was the first full-scale wooden reconstruction in Japan, was completed in 1994, and the Ninomaru Goten, which has existed since the Edo period, is designated as a National Important Cultural Property. The Goten is valuable as one of the few existing castle palaces. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the Kakegawa Castle Goten (check officially for stamping hours). It is easily accessible, about a 7-minute walk from JR Kakegawa Station.

A castle built on a hill along the Kiso River, it is one of the twelve surviving castles. The three-story, four-level, two-basement-level watchtower keep is designated a National Treasure and represents one of the oldest surviving styles. During the Edo period, the Naruse clan, senior retainers of the Owari Tokugawa family, served as lords of the castle. It is a popular tourist destination along with the castle town. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is installed at the Inuyama Castle management office (please check official website for stamp availability hours). Within walking distance from Meitetsu Inuyuen Station and Inuyama Station.

This is a pre-modern castle built by Ieyasu Tokugawa and is a National Special Historic Site. The main castle tower, which was destroyed by air raids, was externally restored in 1959 with reinforced concrete, but the castle tower is currently closed due to seismic resistance issues. On the other hand, the Honmaru Goten has been restored in wood and is open to the public. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the ticket gates of the main gate and east gate, and at the general information center (check officially for the latest information). It is within walking distance of Subway Shiyakusho Station.

This is a base in Mikawa, known as the birthplace of Ieyasu Tokugawa. The current castle tower is a reconstruction completed in 1959, and the interior displays historical materials. The castle ruins are maintained as Okazaki Park and are also famous for cherry blossoms. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located on the 1st floor of the Okazaki Castle keep (next to the ticket counter) (check officially for stamping hours). It is about a 15-minute walk from Meitetsu Higashi-Okazaki Station.

This is a castle built at the confluence of the Toyokawa and Uren rivers. There are no buildings such as a castle tower, and the ruins with earthworks and moats remain. The castle area is a National Historic Site. It is famous for the siege in 1575, the Battle of Nagashino, where the Okudaira clan held out against the large army of Katsuyori Takeda. Related materials are exhibited at the adjacent Nagashino Castle Site History Museum. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located near the same museum (check officially for stamping hours). It is within walking distance of JR Iida Line Nagashino Castle Station.

This castle was renovated by Sadatsugu Tsuchii and later expanded by Takatora Todo. The high stone walls, boasting one of the highest in Japan, are a highlight, with approximately 30m of stone walls towering along the inner moat. The current castle tower is a wooden mock castle tower (also known as Hakuho Castle) built in 1935. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located on the 1st floor of the castle tower (check officially for stamping hours). It is within walking distance of Iga Railway Ueno-shi Station, and the castle ruins are within Ueno Park.

This is a hillside castle built by Ujisato Gamo around 1588. There are no existing buildings, but the magnificent stone walls that fortified the Honmaru and Ninomaru with all stone are well preserved, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. The Motoori Norinaga Memorial Museum and the History and Folklore Museum are located within the castle grounds, which are affectionately known as Matsusaka Park. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the History and Folklore Museum and the Motoori Norinaga Memorial Museum (if closed, it will be at a different facility; check officially for stamping hours). It is within walking distance of JR and Kintetsu Matsusaka Stations.

This is a mountain castle built on the ridge of Mt. Odani, and is one of Japan's five great mountain castles. There is no existing castle tower, but ruins such as stone walls, earthworks, enclosures, and moats remain and are designated as a National Historic Site. It was built by the Sengoku daimyo Asai clan and was the residence of three generations: Ryosei, Hisamasa, and Nagamasa. It is known as the stage for Nagamasa Asai and Oichi no Kata, and was captured by Nobunaga Oda in 1573. The nearest station is Kagei Station on the JR Hokuriku Main Line. Stamps are available at the Odani Castle Sengoku History Museum.

This is one of the twelve existing castle towers, and the castle tower, attached turrets, and Tamon Yagura are National Treasures. The Tenbin Yagura and Taikomon Tsuzuki Yagura are designated as Important Cultural Properties, preserving the appearance of a pre-modern castle. Construction began under the will of Naomasa Ii, and the castle tower was completed in 1606. Thereafter, it became the residence of the Ii clan, the foremost hereditary daimyo. It is about a 15-minute walk from JR Hikone Station. Stamps are available at the Hikone Castle Open-Air Museum.

This is a pioneering pre-modern castle built by Nobunaga Oda in 1576, featuring an all-stone construction and a five-story castle tower. After the Honnoji Incident, the castle tower was burned down, leaving ruins, and it is now designated as a National Special Historic Site. The castle tower base, enclosures, and stone walls remain, and the Kongo-ji Temple within the castle grounds has existing Niomon Gate and a three-story pagoda. It is known as a base for the unification of the country. The nearest station is JR Azuchi Station. Please confirm the stamp location officially.

A medieval mountain castle ruin built on the summit of Mt. Kinugasa, one of Japan's five great mountain castles. It has no keep, but remains of enclosures, stone walls, earthworks, and moats can be found, and it is designated as a National Historic Site. It was the residence of the Omi Province Governor, the Rokkaku clan, and the castle town was developed during the and periods. It was opened in 1568 when Nobunaga entered Kyoto. The nearest station is JR Azuchi Station. Please check the official website for the stamp placement location.

A castle built by Tokugawa Ieyasu and a component of the World Cultural Heritage site "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto." The Ninomaru Palace, the stage for the Great Restoration of Political Power, is a National Treasure and valuable as the only existing palace from the Edo period. The Ninomaru Garden is a Special Place of Scenic Beauty, and the corner turrets and Higashi Otemon Gate also remain. The keep was destroyed by lightning and no longer exists, only the keep base remains. Immediately accessible from Tozai Subway Line, Nijojo-mae Station. The stamp is located in the large rest area within the castle.

A castle built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1583, and its site is a National Special Historic Site. The current keep is a reconstruction (Registered Tangible Cultural Property) built in 1931 with reinforced concrete. Thirteen structures, including Otemon Gate, Tamon Turret, and Senkan Turret, remain as Important Cultural Properties. The Toyotomi clan was destroyed in the Summer Siege of Osaka, and the Tokugawa clan rebuilt it. Multiple stations, such as Tanimachi 4-chome Station on the subway, are accessible. The stamp is located at the information center on the first floor of the keep.

A mountain castle ruin believed to have been built by Kusunoki Masanori in 1332, and a National Historic Site. There are no buildings such as a keep, but enclosures and dry moats remain. It is known as the stage for the Battle of Chihaya Castle, where Masanori besieged and outmaneuvered the large army of the Kamakura Shogunate, leading to the fall of the shogunate. The nearest station is Kawachi-Nagano Station or Tondabayashi Station, then take a bus to Kongo-tozan-guchi and get off. The stamp is located at "Yama no Tofu (Matsumasa)" at the foot of Mt. Kongo.

A mountain castle ruin known as the "Castle in the Sky," famous for its appearance floating in the sea of clouds. It has no keep, but the well-preserved Anō-style stone walls remain, and it is a National Historic Site boasting one of the largest scales among existing mountain castles. It is said to have been built by the Yamana clan, the governor of Tajima Province, during the Kōshō era, and later became the lord of the castle for Akamatsu Hirohide and others. Also known as Torafusa Castle. The nearest station is JR Bantan Line, Takeda Station. Stamps are located in three places: the toll collection building, Yamashiro no Sato, and the information center "Tenku no Shiro."

Built in 1609 by order of Tokugawa Ieyasu as a national project. No keep was built, and remains of strong stone walls, moats, and outworks based on Todo Takatora's layout remain, designated as a National Historic Site. The main building of the castle, the Great Study, was rebuilt in wood in 2000 after being destroyed by fire. About a 30-minute bus ride from JR Fukuchiyama Line Sasayamaguchi Station to "Nikaicho." The stamp is located inside the Great Study Hall (details must be confirmed officially).

A castle built by Ogasawara Tadazane in 1618. Although no keep was built, the Tatsumi Turret and Konishi Turret in the Honmaru remain, both designated as National Important Cultural Properties. The castle ruins are designated as a National Historic Site. Afterwards, the Echizen Matsudaira clan ruled as a hereditary vassal until the Meiji Restoration. About a 10-minute walk from JR and Sanyo Electric Railway Akashi Station. The stamp is located at the Akashi Park Service Center.

One of the 12 existing keeps, also known as the "White Heron Castle" for its beautiful white plaster. The large and small keeps and 8 other structures are National Treasures, and many turrets, gates, and walls are Important Cultural Properties, with the area within the inner moat being a National Special Historic Site. It was registered as Japan's first World Cultural Heritage site in 1993. The current large-scale castle was developed by Ikeda Terumasa from 1601 to 1609. About a 15-20 minute walk from JR Himeji Station. Please check the official website for the stamp placement location.

A coastal plain castle ruin with a modified contour plan built by Asano Naganao, designated as a National Historic Site. No keep was built throughout the Edo period, and in addition to the stone walls and moats, the restored Otemon Gate, Honmaru Garden, and Ninomaru Garden (National Place of Scenic Beauty) are highlights. It was the residence of the Asano family, lords of Ako, known for the story of the Ako Roshi (47 Ronin). About a 20-minute walk from JR Banshu-Ako Station. Stamps are located at the foot of the Honmaru Turret Gate of Ako Castle and the Ako Municipal Historical Museum.

One of Japan's three great mountain castles, along with Bitchu Matsuyama Castle and Iwamura Castle, and the largest mountain castle ruin in Japan. Although buildings such as the keep do not exist, magnificent stone walls and stone ramparts remain, and it is designated as a National Historic Site. It is said to have been built by Ochi Kunizumi in 1332, and continued as the Takatori domain of the Uemura clan during the Edo period. The nearest station is Kintetsu Yoshino Line, Tsubosaka-yama Station. The stamp is located at the tourist information center "Musoukan."

A castle built by Toyotomi Hidenaga in 1585, and later became the residence of the Kishu Tokugawa clan, one of the three Tokugawa branches. It produced Yoshimune, the 8th Shogun. The current keep was a reconstruction in reinforced concrete in 1958 after being destroyed by fire during the war in 1945. Okaguchi Gate and the earthen wall are Important Cultural Properties, and the Nishinomaru Garden is a National Place of Scenic Beauty. About a 10-minute walk from Nankai and JR Wakayama-shi Stations. The stamp is located at the Kusunoki Gate reception of the keep.

A castle ruin known as the stage for Hashiba Hideyoshi's siege of Tottori, "Tottori's Starvation," and a National Historic Site (Tottori Castle Ruins, including Taikō-ga-daira). The keep does not exist, but the Ninomaru San-kai Yagura ruins, the keep base, and the rare spherical curved stone walls (Tenkyūmaru) in the castle grounds are highlights. During the Edo period, it was the residence of the Ikeda clan with 320,000 koku. In recent years, the restoration of the main approach to the castle, including the Giboshi Bridge and Nakanogomon Gate, has been progressing. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the Tottori Castle Ruins and Jinpukaku Exhibition Hall. Take the "Kuru-nashi" green loop bus from JR Tottori Station (100 yen) to "Jinpukaku / Prefectural Museum" and get off immediately.

One of the 12 existing keeps in Japan, with a National Treasure-designated watchtower-style complex keep that soars high. Also known as Chidori Castle. A prayer slip found on the ground floor was the key to confirming its completion date. The castle ruins were designated as a National Historic Site in 1934. The castle was built by Horio Yoshiharu, with the keep completed in the 16th year of Keichō (1611), and it subsequently became the residence of the Horio, Kyōgoku, and Matsudaira clans. The rough stone walls are also a highlight. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the reception desk for climbing the keep (a climbing ticket is required; check the official website for the latest information). Take the Lake Line Bus from JR Matsue Station to "National Treasure Matsue Castle (Otemae)" and get off.

A multi-layered mountain castle ruin built on Mt. Gassan (approx. 197m above sea level), known as the base of the Sengoku daimyo Amako clan, and a National Historic Site (Tomita Castle Ruins). There are no keep buildings, but the Yamanaka Goten ruins, the steep "Nanamagari" (seven twists), stone walls, and about 500 enclosures convey the strength of the castle at the time. The Amako clan was destroyed in the 9th year of Eiroku (1566), and later the Horio clan entered but moved to Matsue Castle, leading to the castle's abandonment. It is also a place associated with Yamanaka Shikanosuke. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is said to be at the Yasugi City Historical Museum (check the official website for confirmation). Take the Yellow Bus from JR Yasugi Station to "Gassan Entrance" and walk for about 1 minute.

A mountain castle ruin known as the "Castle in the Sky" soaring on Mt. Reikizan (362m above sea level), and a National Historic Site (Tsuwano Castle Ruins). The keep in the Honmaru was destroyed by lightning in the 3rd year of Jōkyō (1686) and was not rebuilt. Currently, the magnificent high stone walls built by Sakazaki Naomori are the main attraction. The existing Babasaki Turret and Monomi Turret remain at the foot of the mountain. It was built by Yoshimi Yoriyuki in the 3rd year of Einin (1295), extensively renovated by the Sakazaki clan in the early modern period, and later became the residence of 11 generations of the Kamei clan. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the Tsuwano Castle Ruins Tourist Lift boarding area. About a 5-minute drive from JR Tsuwano Station, then about a 20-minute walk via the lift and on foot to the Honmaru.

A plain-mountain castle built by Mori Tadamasu, brother of Mori Ranmaru, and completed in the 2nd year of Genna (1616), designated as a National Historic Site (Tsuuyama Castle Ruins). It is considered one of Japan's three great plain-mountain castles. Although the buildings were lost during the castle's demolition in the Meiji era, the magnificent high stone walls, stacked in multiple tiers, are impressive. The Bitchu Turret, the largest within the castle grounds, was restored in 2005 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of its construction. The castle ruins have been developed as Tsuruyama Park and are selected as one of the 100 Famous Cherry Blossom Viewing Spots. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is said to be at the Bitchu Turret reception (admission fee required; check the official website for confirmation). Walk from JR Tsuuyama Station to the castle entrance.

Known as the only mountain castle with an existing keep, it is popular as a "Sky Mountain Castle" floating in the sea of clouds. The two-story, two-level keep, built on Mt. Gagyū at an altitude of approximately 430m, is an Important Cultural Property, along with the double turret and the Higashi Doi of the San-no-hiru, which are also designated as Important Cultural Properties. The castle grounds, where medieval and early modern fortifications coexist, are a National Historic Site. Mizutani Katsumune rebuilt it into its current form in the 3rd year of Tenwa (1683). The 100 Famous Castles stamp is said to be near the keep ticket office, but it may be relocated during temporary closures, so please check the official website for confirmation. Take the castle access shuttle bus from JR Bitchu Takahashi Station to Fuirogō, then walk about 20 minutes to the keep.

An ancient mountain castle said to have been built in the latter half of the 7th century, it is a National Historic Site (Onijoyama). Unlike medieval castles, it has no keep. The restored West Gate and corner towers, earthworks and stone walls surrounding the mountain for about 2.8km, and water gate ruins are highlights. Excavation surveys have estimated its construction period, and it is considered a defensive facility after the Battle of Baekgang. It is also the setting for the Momotaro legend of Onra. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the Oni no Ki Mountain Visitor Center (during closure, at the Buried Cultural Properties Learning Center). Accessible by walking from JR Hattori Station, or about a 30-minute taxi ride from JR Soja Station.

The castle, also known as Ujō, is characterized by its black wooden siding, and the keep was completed by Hideie Ukita in 1597. The original keep was destroyed by fire during the war and was rebuilt in 1966 with an exterior restoration. It was renovated in 2022 with the "Reiwa Grand Renovation." The Tsukimi-yagura turret and Nishimaru Nishite-yagura turret, the only remaining structures in the Honmaru, are designated as Important Cultural Properties, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. It can be visited along with the adjacent Kōrakuen Garden. After its construction, the castle was ruled by the Kobayakawa clan, then the Ikeda clan until the end of the Edo period. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is said to be at the entrance of the keep (please confirm with the official source). Access: JR Okayama Station, then alight at the tram stop "Shitakashita."

This castle, built immediately north of JR Fukuyama Station, was constructed by Katsunari Mizuno in 1622. The original keep was destroyed by fire during the war and rebuilt in 1966. In 2022, the 400th anniversary of its construction, the exterior was restored, reviving the iron plate cladding on the north side of the keep, which is said to be the only one in Japan. The Fushimi-yagura turret, a designated Important Cultural Property, is said to have been relocated from Fushimi Castle, and the Sujigane-gomon Gate, a gift, still stand. The castle ruins are a National Historic Site. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located in two places: next to the ticket vending machine outside the management office and in the museum shop inside the keep. It is easily accessible on foot from JR Fukuyama Station, which also serves the Shinkansen.

This is one of the largest mountain castle ruins in the Chugoku region, famous as the stronghold of Motonari Mōri, known for the "Three Arrows." It is a National Historic Site (part of the Mōri clan castle ruins). There is no keep building; the more than 270 tiers of enclosures and stone walls spread across Mt. Koriyama tell the story of its past. The tomb of Motonari Mōri and the tombs of successive generations remain within the castle grounds. It was a formidable fortress of the Warring States period, expanded to encompass the entire mountain during Motonari's reign. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the reception of the Aki Takata City History and Folk Museum (closed Tuesdays and the day after holidays; if closed, stamps can be obtained at the Lifelong Learning Division of the Board of Education). Access is limited by public transportation; please check the official website for details.

This castle, built by Terumoto Mōri, is counted as one of Japan's three great flatland castles. The original keep was a former National Treasure but was destroyed by the atomic bomb. It was rebuilt in 1958 with an exterior restoration. The Omote-gomon Gate, Hirayagura turret, Tamon-yagura turret, and Taiko-yagura turret in the Ninomaru were rebuilt in 1994 using wood based on old photographs and measured drawings. The stone walls and moats remain, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located in the passage in front of the keep entrance (not available from December 29th to 31st). Access: Approximately 25 minutes on foot from JR Hiroshima Station, or approximately 15 minutes on foot from the "Kamiya-cho Higashi" or "Kamiya-cho Nishi" tram stops.

This mountain castle, along with Kintai Bridge, is representative of Iwakuni. It was built by the first lord of Iwakuni Domain, Hiroyoshi Kawakita, in 1608. It was dismantled just seven years after its construction due to the Ichikoku Ichijō Rei (One Castle per Province Edict). The current three-story, four-level, Momoyama-style Nanban-zukuri keep was rebuilt in 1962 and stands southeast of the original keep's foundation to be clearly visible from Kintai Bridge. The stone walls of the original keep's foundation can still be viewed as they were originally built. The earthworks at the foot of the mountain have been developed into Kikkō Park. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the reception of the Iwakuni Castle keep. The foot of the mountain and the mountaintop are connected by ropeway (please check the official website for the latest operating status).

This castle, also known as Shizuki Castle, was started by Terumoto Mōri in 1604 and completed in 1608. It was built at the foot of Mt. Shizuki and had a five-story keep that towered over the area. It was demolished during the Meiji era's廃城令 (castle demolition order), and only the approximately 11m high keep foundation, stone walls, and moats remain as castle ruins (National Historic Site). The castle ruins have been developed into Shizuki Park, and the surrounding castle town is also known as a related site of the "Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution" World Heritage. Important Cultural Properties such as the former Atsu Mōri family Hagi residence longhouse are also nearby. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is said to be located at the toll gate at the entrance to the Honmaru of Shizuki Park (admission fee required; please confirm with the official source).

This is the castle of Awa, built by Iesada Hachisuka. Although the keep building no longer exists, the rough stone walls made of blue stone (green schist) exhibit a unique beauty, and the former Tokushima Castle Omote-goten Garden adjacent to the museum is designated as a National Place of Scenic Beauty. The castle ruins area has been developed into Tokushima Central Park. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located near the reception of the Tokushima City Tokushima Castle Museum (no admission fee required for stamping). Access: Approximately 10 minutes on foot from JR Tokushima Station.

This sea castle, built by Chikamasa Ikoma and later became the residence of the Matsudaira clan, is also known as Tamamo Castle. It is counted as one of Japan's three great water castles due to its structure that draws seawater into the moats. The keep was dismantled in the Meiji period and no longer exists, but the Tsukimi-yagura turret, Suimon Gate, Watari-yagura turret, and Ushi-yagura turret are designated as National Important Cultural Properties. It is now open to the public as Tamamo Park. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the east and west entrances of Tamamo Park (details on the official website). Approximately 3 minutes on foot from JR Takamatsu Station.

This is a castle in Sanuki, built on Mt. Kameyama, and is one of the twelve surviving castles. The keep is known as a small, three-story, three-level surviving keep, and its stone walls, with a total height of approximately 60m, known as the "slope of the fan," are its greatest highlight. It was built by the Ikoma clan, and later the Yamazaki clan and Kyōgoku clan resided there. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the entrance of the Marugame Castle keep (keep admission fee required). Approximately 10 minutes on foot from JR Marugame Station.

This flatland castle, built by the master castle builder Takatora Tōdō facing the Seto Inland Sea, is also known as Fukiage Castle. It is known as one of Japan's leading sea castles that draws seawater into its moats and is counted among Japan's three great water castles along with Takamatsu Castle. The keep was rebuilt in 1980 with reinforced concrete. The stone walls, moats, and rebuilt turrets and gates are highlights. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the entrance of the Imabari Castle keep (keep admission fee required).

This is a flatland castle ruin that served as the residence of the provincial governor of Iyo, the Kono clan, for approximately 250 years during the medieval period. It has been developed into Dogo Park. Remains such as earthworks and moats can be seen, and parts of the samurai residence and garden have been restored. It is designated as a National Historic Site. There are no early modern castle structures such as a keep. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the Yuzuki Castle Museum (if closed, it will be placed outside the museum; please check the official website for details). It is close to Dogo Onsen and immediately accessible from the Iyotetsu Dogo Park tram stop.

A castle in Iyo built by Kato Yoshiaki on the summit of Katsuyama, and one of the twelve existing keeps. Numerous structures, including the connected-style keep, yaguras, gates, and walls, are designated as Important Cultural Properties. Visitors can ascend from the castle town by ropeway or lift, and the view from the summit is also a highlight. The Japan 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the entrance of the Matsuyama Castle keep (keep requires admission fee). From JR Matsuyama Station etc., take the city tram to Daikaido and walk to the ropeway boarding area.

This flat mountain castle of Iyo-Ozu is built on a hill along the Hijikawa River. The four-story, four-level keep was rebuilt in 2004 using traditional methods based on old photographs and documents, and is considered one of the largest wooden rebuilt keeps in Japan. The existing turrets, such as the Daidokoro-yagura turret and Kōran-yagura turret, are designated as National Important Cultural Properties. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the reception of the Ozu Castle Honmaru (keep admission fee required). It is within walking distance from JR Iyo-Ozu Station to the castle.

This castle in Uwajima, built by Takatora Tōdō and later became the residence of the Date clan, is one of the twelve surviving castles. The three-story, three-level surviving keep is designated as a National Important Cultural Property, and the castle ruins are a National Historic Site. Remains, including stone walls and the approach to the castle, can be found up to the keep on the mountain. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located in the Uwajima Castle keep (keep admission fee required). It is within walking distance from JR Uwajima Station, and you can climb to the keep on foot from the foot of the mountain.

This castle in Tosa, built by Kazutoyo Yamauchi on Mt. Otakasa, is one of the twelve surviving castles. It is known as the only castle in Japan where not only the keep but also the Honmaru Goten (Kaitoku-kan) still exist, with most of the Honmaru structures remaining intact. Numerous structures, including the keep, Goten, and Otemon Gate, are designated as National Important Cultural Properties. The 100 Famous Castles stamp is located at the entrance of the Honmaru Goten (paid area). Access from JR Kochi Station by bus or tram, and ascend from the Otemon Gate.

This was the residence of the Kuroda clan of the Fukuoka Domain, built by Nagamasa Kuroda from 1601, and is also known as Maizuru Castle. Although no keep building remains, the large keep foundation stone walls show its grandeur. The only surviving Minami-maru Tamon-yagura turret, designated as a National Important Cultural Property, and the restored Shimonohashi Otemon Gate and Shiomi-yagura turret are highlights. The castle ruins area is a National Historic Site and has been developed as Maizuru Park. The stamp is located at the Kōrokan Ruins Exhibition Hall. Approximately 10 minutes on foot from the subway Airport Line Ōhori-kōen Station.

This is one of Japan's largest ancient mountain castles, built in 665 on Mt. Shioji behind Dazaifu in preparation for an invasion by Tang China and Silla after the defeat at the Battle of Baekgang. Unlike mainland early modern castles, earthworks and stone walls extending approximately 8km in total, nine castle gate sites, foundation building clusters, and the largest stone wall, "Hyakken Ishigaki," remain in the mountains. It is a National Special Historic Site. Since the historic site spans Dazaifu City, Ono City, and Umi Town, stamps are located at multiple facilities. The nearest access points are from the trailheads and community facilities in each town.

This was a massive castle built by Hideyoshi Toyotomi in Karatsu from 1591 as a forward base for the Bunroku and Keichō campaigns. Although no keep remains, the destroyed magnificent stone walls, dry moats, and keep foundation convey its scale, and over 130陣跡 (military encampment sites) established by feudal lords from across the country are scattered around. It is a National Special Historic Site (Nagoya Castle Ruins and Encampment Sites). It is a different castle from Nagoya Castle in Aichi. The stamp is said to be located near the Saga Prefectural Nagoya Castle Museum, but please confirm with the official source. Access by bus from JR Karatsu Station.

A large-scale moated settlement from the Yayoi period, spread across the Saga Plain, it was the central settlement of a kuni covering approximately 117ha. Double moats, wooden palisades and abatis, watchtowers, the northern and southern inner enclosures, burial mounds, and jar burials have been excavated, and stilt houses and watchtowers have been restored as a historical park. It is a Yayoi ruin, not a castle, and a National Special Historic Site. The stamp is said to be at the entrance (East Gate/West Gate) of Yoshinogari Historical Park, but official confirmation is required. Approximately 15 minutes on foot from JR Yoshinogari Park Station.

A castle of the Nabeshima clan, with 360,000 koku, built by Nabeshima Naoshige and Katsushige in the Keicho era by renovating the Muranaka Castle of the Ryuzoji clan. It is a flat castle also known as a 'sinking castle'. The castle keep does not remain, but the castle keep base does. The existing Shachihoko Gate and connecting turret (National Important Cultural Property) bear bullet marks from the Saga Rebellion of 1874. The Saga Castle History Museum, a partial wooden restoration of the Honmaru Palace, is the largest in Japan as a restored palace and admission is free. The stamp is said to be at the museum, but official confirmation is required. Access by bus from JR Saga Station.

The castle of the Hirado feudal lord, the Matsuura clan, it is a hillside castle (also known as Kameoka Castle) built on a scenic spot surrounded by Hirado Seto on three sides. After being built by Matsuura Shigenobu, it was rebuilt in the mid-Edo period. The current five-story castle keep is a reinforced concrete replica built in 1962. The Tanuki Yagura (raccoon turret) and the North Koguchi Gate, the only remaining wooden structure from the feudal period, remain. The castle overlooks the sea of Hirado below. The stamp is said to be at the Hirado Castle keep reception, but official confirmation is required. Access by bus from Tabira-Hiradoguchi Station on the Matsuura Railway.

A continuous-style flat castle built by Shimabara feudal lord Matsukura Shigemasu in the Genna era (from 1618). Edo-period remains include stone walls and moats. The five-story castle keep and three three-story turrets are reinforced concrete buildings externally restored in the Showa era. The white-walled castle keep, which stands out against the blue sky, is a symbol of Shimabara, and the interior is an exhibition hall for Christian historical materials. It was designated a National Historic Site in 2025. The stamp is said to be at the Shimabara Castle keep reception, but official confirmation is required. Within walking distance from Shimabara Station on the Shimabara Railway.

A famous castle built by Kato Kiyomasa around 1591, also known as Ginkgo Castle. The current main keep and small keep are reinforced concrete structures externally restored in 1960 after being burned down in the Southwest War, but 13 structures, including the Udo Turret, remain as National Important Cultural Properties. The castle ruins are a National Special Historic Site. Restoration is ongoing after the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake; the castle keep has been restored and reopened to the public in 2021, while the Udo Turret and others are still under restoration. The stamp is installed at the ticket office, etc., but operational changes have occurred, so official confirmation is required. Alight at Kumamoto-jo Shiyakusho-mae stop on the city tram.

Said to have been built by Sagara Nagayori in the early Kamakura period, it is a terraced hillside castle where the Sagara clan resided for about 670 years. A castle keep was never built; stone walls and earthworks are the main remains, and corner turrets and tamon turrets have been rebuilt. The 'Musha-gaeshi' (warrior repeller) projecting stone walls built at the end of the Edo period are rare nationwide. The castle ruins are a National Historic Site. The stamp is installed at the Hitoyoshi Castle History Museum, which reopened after being closed due to the heavy rains in 2020. Access by bus from JR Hisatsu Line Hitoyoshi Station (some sections of the Hisatsu Line are suspended, please check).

A stepped-trapezoidal flat castle built facing the sea in Funai (Oita). Started by Fukuhara Naotaka and completed by Takenaka Shigeto in 1602. The four-story keep was lost in a great fire in the Edo period, leaving only the keep base. However, the Hitojichi Yagura and Shumon Yagura, rebuilt in the late Edo period, still exist as Edo period structures, and the Otemon Gate and Roka Bashi (corridor bridge) have been restored. The castle ruins are designated historic sites of Oita Prefecture and Oita City. The stamp is located below the Otemon Gate and can be stamped 24 hours a day. About a 15-minute walk from JR Oita Station.

A mountain castle built on a rocky mountain cliff approximately 325m above sea level. The castle buildings were dismantled during the abolition of castles in the Meiji era, and only the magnificent high stone walls overlooking the valley remain. Said to have been built by Ogata Koreyoshi, it became the residence of the Oka domain's Nakagawa clan after Nakagawa Hidenari moved in during the Bunroku era. It is said to be the inspiration for Rentaro Taki's 'Aki no Tsuki' (Moon Over a Ruined Castle), which he composed while growing up in Taketa. The castle ruins are a National Historic Site. The stamp can be obtained at the Oka Castle toll gate (ticket sales office). Access by bus from Bungo-Taketa Station on the JR Hohi Main Line.

A southern Kyushu-style hillside castle separated from the tuff plateau by a dry moat. It was the residence of the Obi domain's Ito clan from 1588 until the Meiji era, when Ito Suketaka became lord. A castle keep was never built, and stone walls are the main remains. The main gate, rebuilt in 1978 with Obi cedar, is symbolic. The Matsuo no Maru palace and the domain school Shintokudo remain, and the castle town is a National Important Preservation District for Groups of Traditional Buildings (the castle ruins themselves are a Nichinan City Designated Historic Site). The stamp is installed at the Obi Castle Historical Materials Museum. Approximately 15 minutes on foot from Obi Station on the JR Nichinan Line.

The residence of the Satsuma domain's Shimazu clan, built by Shimazu Tadatsune (Iehisa) in 1601, also known as Tsurumaru Castle. It is characterized by its lack of a castle keep and its 'yagura-zukuri' style. The stone walls and moats of the Honmaru and Ninomaru remain. The main gate, which was burned down in the Meiji era, was restored in 2020, reviving its magnificent appearance, approximately 20m high and wide. The castle mountain behind it is a National Historic Site and Natural Monument. The stamp is installed at the information center of the Reimeikan, Kagoshima Prefectural Center for Historical Materials and Art, built on the castle ruins (alternative installation available on closed days). Near Shiyakusho-mae stop on the city tram.

A Ryukyuan gusuku (castle) said to have been the residence of the Hokuzan King who ruled northern Okinawa Island. It lacks a mainland-style castle keep, and its sturdy stone walls, which curve along the terrain, surround multiple baileys, making it a large-scale site comparable to Shuri Castle. Founded in the 13th-14th centuries, it is a component of the World Cultural Heritage site 'Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu' and a National Historic Site. Sacred sites (utaki) also remain within the castle grounds. The stamp is installed at the Nakijin Village Gusuku Exchange Center. Alight at 'Nakijin Castle Ruins (Entrance)' by bus from Naha.

A Ryukyuan gusuku (castle) associated with Gosamaru, a famous castle builder of the 15th century. It lacks a mainland-style castle keep, and its beautiful curved stone walls, built with exquisite techniques such as 'nuno-zumi' (cloth-laying), extend from the northern bailey to the southern bailey. It is a testament to the highest castle-building techniques of the time, a component of the World Cultural Heritage site 'Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu,' and a National Historic Site. The view overlooking the East China Sea is also a charm. The stamp is installed at the Nakagusuku Castle Ruins management office (ticket office). Access by transferring from a bus to a community bus from the Naha area.

A gusuku (castle) that became the residence of successive Ryukyu Kingdom kings after the unification of the three kingdoms by Sho Hashi. Its curved stone walls and vermilion-painted buildings symbolize Ryukyuan culture. It is a component of the World Cultural Heritage site 'Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu' (the World Heritage site itself is the underground Shuri Castle Ruins) and a National Historic Site. The main hall was destroyed in a fire in 2019 and is currently under reconstruction, with external viewing possible. The scope of public access may change depending on the progress of the construction, so please check the official website for the latest information. Please also check the official website for stamp installation locations. Approximately 15 minutes on foot from Shuri Station on the Yui Rail.

100 Famous Castles of Japan Stamp Rally
A list of the 'New 100 Famous Castles of Japan' (No. 101-200), selected by the Japan Castle Foundation in 2017 and implemented as a stamp rally since 2018, organized by region. This list covers famous castles and castle ruins nationwide, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, including magnificent castles with stone walls and keeps like Yonago Castle, Nakao Castle, and Gujohachiman Castle, to ancient castles and fortifications such as Shinagawa Daiba, Mizuki, Kii Castle, Kaneda Castle, and Kikuchi Castle, and even World Heritage sites like Zakimi Castle, Katsuren Castle, and Hara Castle. This is the second series following the '100 Famous Castles of Japan,' focusing on remains like stone walls, earthworks, and enclosures, as well as reconstructed or mock keeps, and Gusuku and ancient mountain castles, as there are no existing keeps. Stamps for each castle are located at management offices, museums, or castle entrances, but their locations, hours, and fees may change, so always check the official sources (Japan Castle Foundation / each castle) for the latest information. You can view all 100 castles on a map and record how many you have conquered by checking in.

Not just the castle keep. Japanese famous castles that will make you fall in love with the stone walls and moats.
Himeji's egret, Matsumoto's jet black, Takeda's sea of clouds. Castles that will impress castle lovers, filled with the aesthetics of defense.

Touring Japan's World Heritage Sites
Himeji Castle, Yakushima, Itsukushima Shrine... Conquered all 26 World Heritage Sites in Japan. Treasures Japan is proud of, to be visited over a lifetime.

100 Famous Cherry Blossom Spots in Japan: A Tour of Cherry Blossom Viewing Spots Nationwide
"100 Famous Cherry Blossom Spots in Japan" is a list of 100 cherry blossom viewing spots across Japan, selected in 1990 by the Japan Cherry Blossom Association (a public interest incorporated foundation) to commemorate its 25th anniversary. Based on nine selection criteria, at least one spot was chosen from each prefecture, covering all 47 prefectures. This list compiles 100 spots by region, from Hokkaido to Kyushu and Okinawa. Please use it to plan your trips to castle ruins, riverside cherry tree-lined streets, temples and shrines, parks, and more.

Tour of the 12 Existing Castles: 5 National Treasures and 7 Important Cultural Properties
The 12 Existing Castles are castles where the keeps from the Edo period or earlier still remain. Of these, 5 castles - Himeji, Matsumoto, Inuyama, Hikone, and Matsue - are National Treasures, and the remaining 7 castles are Important Cultural Properties of Japan. We have compiled the 12 castles scattered across the country by National Treasure and Important Cultural Property status.

Tour of Special Historic Sites: 66 Selected Sites Designated by the Agency for Cultural Affairs
Special historic sites are the most representative historic sites in Japan, designated by the Agency for Cultural Affairs as having particularly high value among nationally designated historic sites. We have compiled a total of 66 sites, including Goryokaku Ruins, Sannai Maruyama Site, Toro Ruins, Himeji Castle Ruins, Heijo Palace Site, and Kumamoto Castle Ruins, in regional order. Please use this for planning your historical journey visiting castle ruins, ancient sites, and burial mounds.
Check off the places you visitand keep photos and notes.
Edit it however you like.
Sign up freeStart with your Google account